Seen this recently?
Photo source: https://www.lingaros.com/blog/virtual-kiosks-qr-code-based-menus-key-benefits-of-self-ordering-tech/
During the COVID-19 pandemic, digital menus have become increasingly popular. But, as with every new technology, they pose some security risks. Going to any unknown website can make you susceptible to technical attacks, and some cyber criminals will physically alter the QR code itself to direct you to a false link. This is yet another example of convenience and security butting heads.
Even if you go to restaurants that use QR code menus, there are precautions that can keep you safe online.
Don't let your dinner hack you. Here’s how:
1. Request a physical menu, if it's safe to do so.
2. Inspect the QR code to make sure it hasn't been replaced with a malicious code.
3. Don't log in with your credentials if prompted.
4. Ask your server for a secure URL instead (https://).
5. Use a QR code checking app instead of your camera.